22-May-2018
I love coincidences, obviously the happy ones! I just bought a book titled ‘Tales and Legends from India’ – by Ruskin Bond. I bought it with all the hopes of reading a mesmerizing rendition of old stories and myths that I heard or not heard while growing up and I was not disappointed!
The coincidence started from the first word ‘Sheherazade’…a reference to Arabian Night Tales and incidentally I had recently read my first and only version by Anushka Ravishankar -’The storyteller: the tales from Arabian nights’ and could immediately connect and get transported to the feeling of anticipation of listening to a bagful of heart-warming stories!!
The next and the most precious coincidence was the first story he tells, that of Princess Savitri, titled ‘Love Conquers All’. I had first read this story in Amar Chitra Katha long ago and loved the story from then on. Many a times reading it and always getting moved whenever and however her reference was made either in other books or in movies. As I read, the pictures came alive in my mind and my heart went full circle from being worried and fretful and finally jumping with joy on reading her story. Princess Savitri remains my most cherished and favourite princess of Indian folklore and her story always brings my heart in play. So, to an old romantic like me, bringing her story with such freshness, finesse and grace stirred me to no end!!!Savouring the story and the moment. Not to mention another coincidence where I recently saw the movie ‘Mahanati’ - Story of Savitri - one of the legendary South Indian actors of our times!! Here is to more happy coincidences!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment