Introduction
As all travel plans, this travel was also an almost last minute plan. On Friday just before closing the day the mails went around among 3 of us colleagues on how we can visit New York the next day!! WOW. The things to sort out - how would I from Philly reach NY, how would SN and RL from Benselem reach NY, is there a way we can join and then travel, what to see within the schedule, can we get any tickets online to avoid lines for tourist places and ofcourse the return plan!! Phew!!
23rd July 2011 (Saturday)
5AM
5AM
I walked to the Suburban Station (near hotel) to take a local septa train (R7) to Trenton. Picked up the guides to Trenton line and Rates. Had read in few sites that this train comes to Track4 most of the time so I headed there as not many people were around to get the information. Good thing was that on the platform the information sign listed the train, its timing and track so I was sure I was on right track. 1 hurdle cleared :)
5:45AM
The train was on dot. Just a 2 car train. Quite small for what we are used to :D Got in with few more people. Now the seats are 2 rows with 3 seater on one side and 2 seater the other. I ofcourse chose the 2 seater to ensure not too many people sit my me ;) then I noted an interesting fact, if there is a single lady boarding the car this will be her first preference. hehehe funny. As I hadn't taken ticket online or at the counter (which was closed in morn) I had to take on board. So when the ticket collector came I told him that I want 1 round about ticket to New York, he said we give no ticket to New York, ok..then give a round about ticket to Trenton (as the NJ transit ticket I can pick from there)..he seemed surprised but then gave the ticket. Now I only had a $100 note. I smartly gave that to him expecting him to give me the change, and he said I don't do no $100s!!! I was like what, why then how???? He said I dont know how.. you get the change.. and moved on. I thought to myself "How rude" ofcourse. But then I decided to be cool and once he is back ask his help on a work around. So I waited while he punched all the tickets and came back. I told him that I dont have change and if he can help me out. He said OK this time I am going to give you change but neext time dooont give me a hundred .I said absolutely no and thank you :) Done :)
6:38AM
I reached Trenton. This is where I was supposed to meet SN and RL and take the 6:59AM train to NY. I went to the section above the tracks and looked around. This was a nice small station. There was waiting area/ticket area and eating joints. I went near the ticket area, I could see the entrance from there, then I called SN to let her know I am in. She told that they were just figuring out the place and might get delayed. Good thing for us was that even if we missed the planned train there was another around 7:30AM. So no harm done :)
7:00-7:20AM
It was great to see SN and RL again. We quickly went to ticket counter and got the next train tickets. Went to one of the joints and picked up some snacks for the trip. and then waited for the train. It came at 7:20AM and we boarded. Finally, the trip to NY started :) We took some snaps and chatted all the way to NY Penn station.
8:50AM
We reached NY Penn Station and found our way to exit. We looked for some maps etc. near the exit but couldn't find any. Once out we took some snaps and then asked for directions to the Empire State Building which was our first visit.
9:10AM
We reached Empire State Building. We had to go to the 2nd floor for security check and the tickets. Got ourselves tickets for 86th and 102nd floor. After this we took lift to 80th floor, there were lot of pics and history of ESB listed. From there we went to 86th floor and ofcourse the view was awesome. Took snaps from all 4 sides of the floor. Then we went to 102nd floor for the same view :) Didn't spend much time there. On the way back we picked up souvenir coins in 80th floor (a must) and some stuff from the souvenir shop near the exit.
10:30AM-10:45AM
We came out of ESB. Stopped at Pizza Hut for some snack and then took a cab to Battery Park.11AM
We reached Battery Park and saw a huge line at the entrance. We asked the lady who was checking tickets about pre-paid booking center as we already had booked the tickets for the trip to Statue of Liberty.She guided us to the place. Once there we picked up the tickets and were asked to proceed for the ferry.When we went near the ferry boarding point we saw the same line and were shocked!! We went all the way to the end and showed the ticket to same first lady for guidance. Luckily, she said we need to be in reserved line which is way ahead :) So we walked back and saw the signpost. The gentleman there asked us to come back at 12:30PM to board. We were really relieved on not having to wait in that loong loong line :)
12:30PM
We joined the line to ferry, went through security check and finally boarded. As it was hot and humid we decided to sit in one of the shaded levels. Ferry ride was quite pleasant with nice views. We got down at Liberty island, went to information center, saw a video that was on the history of SoL/Ellis Island. After a while we decided to explore the island. We took a stroll (tried to be under trees wherever possible), took pictures and finally reached the place from where we could see SoL. It was amazing to look at such a massive statue. We didn't have tickets to actually go until the monument so we just had to see it from the outer area but then we can't miss seeing it right :) so we didnt miss much. The crown ticket is something that one can think about when planning a trip to SoL. Once taking pictures was done we decided to stop at the souvenir shop. We picked up few things and boarded the ferry back to Battery Park.
3PM-3:30PM
We reached the Battery Park and on way out decided to have some icecream (a wish we wanted to fulfill for SM - another friend ours back in India :)) This was was quite refreshing!!! By this time I was quite exhausted and hoped that we didn't have to walk a lot in this weather!! We decided to take a cab ride to Brooklyn Bridge and then continue to Times Square in the same cab. Brooklyn Bridge drive was ok and when one realizes that this was first bridge to be built in US, its quite incredible. Would have liked to come here in cooler weather and lot of time for a walk :)
4PM-5:15PM
The cab dropped us near the Times Square building. I just glanced up and well couldn't see the end of the building!! :) Quite a skyscraper. The area was buzzing with people, activities and ofcourse shooting that was just being wrapped up!! All the whos and who of business world are here!! We spent some time taking in the place and taking snaps before heading back to the station. On way to station we stopped by at yet another souvenir shop and picked up some more stuff.
5:30PM
We reached the station and enquired about the track where we should board our train.We were told that the track will be announced 10 mins before the departure, so we waited. At 5:43PM, an announcement was made and wow suddenly from everywhere people were running to reach the track!!!! When we reached the train every single car seemed to be filled, so as an anticlimax to our 1 day trip we ended up running to find a car where we can get places!!! thankfully we did just in time ! :)
7:20PM
We reached Trenton and said Good byes.
8PM
I boarded my train to Philly at 8PM and reached back to hotel at 9PM quite exhausted with the exciting day.So the Highs of the trip
1. Travelling in company of friends :)
2. Train rides3. Empire State Building - souvenir coin
4. Statue of Liberty
5. Chilled cold water that we kept having the entire day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment